Grand Court Judge - Financial Services Division
- Agency: Cayman Islands Government
- Reference: R02622020
- Posted: 10-Nov-2020
- Closing Date: 11-Dec-2020
- Salary: CI$228,928.92
- Job Description
CAYMAN ISLANDS GOVERNMENT
On behalf of His Excellency the Governor, Martyn Roper, OBE, the Cayman Islands Judicial and Legal Services Commission invites applications for the position of:
GRAND COURT JUDGE - FINANCIAL SERVICES DIVISION
The Grand Court deals with a wide range of criminal and civil matters. It is headed by the Hon. Chief Justice, Anthony Smellie Q.C., and currently has seven additional judges. In accordance with the constitutional oaths of judicial office, the holder of this post will preside as a judge in cases in the Grand Court Financial Services Division of the Cayman Islands. The Financial Services Division of the Grand Court was created in 2009 recognising the need for special procedures and skills in dealing with the more complex civil cases that arise out of the financial sector in the Cayman Islands. The post-holder will be accountable for the proper and efficient administration of justice in his/her court. For information about the courts see http://www.judicial.ky.
Candidates for this position must:-
- have a minimum of 10 years post-qualification experience in the practice of law and be qualified to practice as an advocate in the courts of the Cayman Islands, the United Kingdom or the Commonwealth;
- have previous judicial and/or practical experience in the fields of insolvency, fiduciary relationships (including trusts) and commercial law;
- possess a sound and thorough knowledge of the general common law applicable in the Cayman Islands and the ability to interpret local legislation and case law in making decisions in accordance with the laws of the Cayman Islands;
- possess excellent research, analytical, oral and written skills and a basic proficiency in the use of the computer;
- maintain confidentiality, exercise good judgment and commitment, demonstrate procedural fairness and the ability to deal courteously with professional representatives, litigants in person and members of the public;
- be a person of maturity and sound judgment, possessing strong communication and listening skills and expertise in time and management, and be impartial and independent of all outside influences.
The post holder will be subject to a Code of Conduct promulgated by the Judicial and Legal Services Commission.
The successful candidate will receive an appointment to the age of 70 and benefits will be determined in accordance with the Judges Allowances and Emoluments Law (2018 Revision) under the Constitution.
Please submit completed Application Form and résumé to:
Manager, Commissions Secretariat
2nd Floor, Artemis House, 67 Fort Street, George Town
P.O. Box 391 Grand Cayman KY1-1106, CAYMAN ISLANDS
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (345) 945-8649
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11 DECEMBER 2020
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.