Legal Aid Counsel
- Agency: Judicial Administration
- Reference: JUD 09/2020
- Posted: 02-Oct-2020
- Closing Date: 22-Oct-2020
- Salary: CI$79,656 - CI$107,148
- Job Description
The Judicial Administration is now accepting applications for the post of:
Legal Aid Counsel
To assist the Director of Legal Aid to discharge their functions and duties prescribed by the Legal Aid Law which include the provision of legal advice to Applicants, consideration of legal aid applications and the conduct of case management hearings and any other hearing as approved.
(See Job Description for complete list of Principal Accountabilities)
- Receive and consider applications for legal aid, making recommendations for final determination by the Director of Legal Aid.
- Work in the Legal Aid Clinic and provide support to the Listed Attorneys and guidance to the Legal Aid Officers and other Administrative staff as required, particularly in respect to the processing of Legal Aid Applications.
- Provides legal and general directions to staff in relation to Legal Aid matters and advice on the interpretation of the various applicable laws.
- Provide family and civil law legal representation services.
- Provide enhanced Duty Counsel Services in urgent civil/ family matters or criminal matters.
- Research legal points of law and prepare opinions, ensure a high quality of legal work in a cost effective manner.
- Assist the Director with recommendations for amendment to the Law and Regulations.
- Staff supervision and management responsibilities for three direct reports.
- To assist the Director in the creation of publications related to Legal Aid Services including maintenance of Legal Aid information on the Judicial Administration website.
- To assist the Director in their support to the Clerk of Court and other Taxing Officers in taxation related matters.
- To liaise with Not for Profit agencies that provide support and general advice to members of the public who are parties to court proceedings.
Experience and Skills
- A qualified attorney with a minimum of 3 years since being called to the Bar in the Cayman Islands or in the Commonwealth (see section 6(4) of the Legal Aid Law).
- Minimum of 3 years litigation experience in civil or criminal divisions of the court in both the Summary Court and Grand Court with some litigation experience in the Court of Appeal dealing with fairly complex legal issues.
- Strong background and experience in Legal Research.
- Strong Advocacy skills.
- General knowledge of the legal principles surrounding decision-making in a public law setting.
- Excellent Inter-personal and team working skills, and a proven ability to form partnerships and motivate and enthuse individuals.
- High level of legal, organizational and human resource skills.
- First-class communication and presentation skills, with the ability to communicate ideas, issues, systems and procedures successfully at all levels to a variety of audiences.
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills, acting as an effective and persuasive ambassador for an organization or body in the public arena, with the ability to engage individuals and organizations and broker successful partnerships whilst remaining politically neutral.
A pre-employment drug screen and Police records check are conditions of employment
PLEASE SUBMIT FULLY COMPLETED CIG APPLICATION FORM & RESUME TO:
Chief Human Resource Officer
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: 22 OCTOBER 2020
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.