Crown Counsel (Civil)
- Agency: Portfolio of Legal Affairs
- Reference: POLA002
- Posted: 14-Sep-2020
- Closing Date: 07-Oct-2020
- Salary: CI$79,656 - CI$107,148
- Job Description
The Attorney General is the principal legal adviser to the Government of the Cayman Islands. The Office of the Solicitor General contributes towards the objectives of the Attorney General in providing comprehensive, reliable, and timely legal advice to Government agencies and various public bodies. It provides an effective and efficient service in the conduct of civil litigation for or on behalf of the Crown. The Office of the Solicitor General is currently inviting applications for the following post:
Crown Counsel (Civil)
This role will undertake work in a wide range of areas including administrative/public law, human rights, constitutional law, immigration, tort, employment, freedom of information/data protection, planning and land law, as well as contract preparation and review. Litigation will typically include judicial review, statutory appeals, writ actions and some tribunal proceedings.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Applicants for this position should be a Solicitor, Barrister or Attorney-at-Law qualified to practice in an English-speaking Commonwealth jurisdiction. Applicants must also:
- possess a minimum of five (5) years’ post qualification experience, including experience with all aspects of civil litigation practice and procedure, including the preparation of pleadings, affidavits and legal submissions;
- have sound advocacy skills and experience;
- have the ability to undertake detailed and complex legal research;
- have the ability to provide comprehensive, reliable and timely legal advice;
- have the ability to work effectively both as part of a team and independently;
- have strong written and verbal communication skills.
Please submit your Government Application Form, as well as a cover letter, résumé or curriculum vitae to:Mark Harrison, HR Manager, Portfolio of Legal Affairs, 4th Floor, Government Administration Building, 133 Elgin Avenue, P.O. Box 136, Grand Cayman, KY1-9000. Telephone: 1 345 244 2336. Email: email@example.com
Deadline for receipt of applications: Wednesday 7th October, 2020
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.