OSG/Prison Officer Trainee
- Agency: Prison Service
- Reference: R01442020
- Posted: 31-Jul-2020
- Closing Date: 14-Aug-2020
- Salary: CI$29,004 - CI$39,000
- Job Description
Her Majesty’s Cayman Islands Prison Service
OSG/Prison Officer Trainee
Her Majesty’s Cayman Islands Prison Service is the sole correctional service in the Cayman Islands. Its mission is to secure persons incarcerated by the judicial system safely and provide rehabilitative opportunities for offenders.
As a Trainee Prison Officer, you will start your career as an Operational Support Grade (OSG) and be promoted upon successful completion of your initial training/probation. A Prison Officer is in a unique position to make a real difference to the community and help build a safer Cayman Islands through transforming lives of those in our care. The Prison Officer role is challenging but rewarding. You will contribute to maintaining secure custody and order within the prison whilst enabling rehabilitative opportunities and assisting inmates on their journey to be active and contributing citizens in our communities.
The main responsibilities of the post holder will include, but are not limited to:
- Supervise prisoners of a variety of risk levels.
- Mentor prisoners, motivate them and guide them through the rehabilitation process.
- Maintain good order, safety and security of the prison.
Professional Qualifications Required:
- High School Diploma or equivalent certification (e.g. GED).
- Computer literate with demonstrated ability to use all MS Office applications.
- A valid CI Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification would be an asset.
- No prior experience necessary but experience in a correctional or criminal justice environment would be an asset.
Desired Personal Attributes:
- Strong Communication and Interpersonal Skills. Candidate is an active listener and can effectively communicate information.
- Dependable and responsible.
- Respects authority. Candidate is willing to accept and comply with directions established by policy or given by person in authority.
- Self-control. Candidate is able to maintain calm in stressful or difficult situations.
- Team Player. Candidate works well with a team.
- Strong work ethic. Candidate should be willing to apply consistent and earnest effort to the tasks assigned.
- Ethical Behaviour Candidate should demonstrate the highest standard of conduct in his personal and professional life.
- Attention to Detail. Candidate should be aware of surroundings, making constant observations and avoiding becoming complacent.
The following are required submissions for the post:
- COMPLETED CI GOVT EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
- COPIES OF RELEVANT CERTIFICATES/QUALIFICATIONS
- COPY OF PASSPORT (BIOGRAPHIC PAGE)
Please submit to:
Ref: OSG/Prison Officer Trainee
24 Sheffield Drive, Northward
PO Box 1807, Grand Cayman KY1-1109
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, 14th August 2020
Benefits will be determined in accordance with the Public Service Management Law, Personnel Regulations, the Public Service Pensions Law and the CINICO Health Plan as may be amended from time to time. Pension and health benefits are non-contributory.